Eating healthy and losing weight seems downright impossible for many people.
Despite their best intentions, they repeatedly find themselves eating large amounts of unhealthy foods, despite knowing that it is causing them harm. If you have believed that people only get addicted to drugs and alcohol then you should also know that food is also an addiction for many and they constantly battle the cravings and get the high that any addict would experience. Food addiction is a very serious problem and one of the main reasons some people just can’t control themselves around certain foods, no matter how hard they try. It involves the same areas in the brain, the same neurotransmitters and many of the symptoms are identical.
Here are eight common symptoms that indicate food addiction:
- You frequently get cravings for certain foods, despite feeling full and having just finished a nutritious meal.
- When you give in and start eating a food you were craving, you often find yourself eating much more than you intended to.
- When you eat a food you were craving, you sometimes eat to the point of feeling excessively “stuffed.”
- You often feel guilty after eating particular foods, yet find yourself eating them again soon after.
- You sometimes make excuses in your head about why you should eat something that you are craving.
- You have repeatedly tried to quit eating or setting rules (includes cheat meals/days) about certain foods, but been unsuccessful.
- You often hide your consumption of unhealthy foods from others.
- You feel unable to control your consumption of unhealthy foods, despite knowing that they are causing you physical harm (includes weight gain).
Food addiction can cause physical harm. It can lead serious diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, and depression, to name a few. The seriousness of being a food addict cannot be overstated. This is a problem that ruins health and lives.
Looking for solutions to lose weight in a healthy manner? Our experts at GET Fit 360 can help you overcome your food addiction and get your health back on track. Our online weight loss program teaches you to understand your hunger pangs and opt for healthier food and snacking options. Rein in your bad food habits and make nutritious, mindful eating a lifetime habit with GET Fit 360.