Today’s sedentary lifestyle has a lot to contribute when it comes to weight gain. This has paved the way for many lifestyle diseases, like diabetes, blood pressure, etc. Nowadays, people have started planning their weight loss goals.
However, before planning any diet or workout, it is important to understand how calories work. If you do not have a clear idea about counting calories, the best choice would be to take an expert’s advice. Also, there are many online weight loss programs you can enroll in. Such programs will have experienced instructors who will help you in calculating your body mass index. They will conduct a detailed analysis of your body nature and medical history before charting a diet for you.
What Is A Calorie?
A calorie is a unit of energy. In nutrition, calories refer to the energy one can get from consuming food and water. It also refers to the energy one uses in a physical activity. Calorie intake is quite necessary for life. However, consuming very less, or more calories can cause harm to the body.
What Are The Different Calorie Sources ?
Proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and fibre are different sources of calories. Most foods have all or some of these sources. Protein, fats, and carbs are known as macro nutrients. Each gram of these macro nutrients contains 4,9 and 4 calories, respectively.
Why Track Calories Using An Online Weight Loss Program?
Counting or tracking the calories is the best way to manage weight. It also helps to adapt to a healthier lifestyle. Tracking calories means monitoring the food intake and the number of calories the body can get from that food. This calorie tracking is often used for gaining and losing weight. Therefore, tracking calories can be more beneficial to people who want to be fit and healthy.
Even if you are on a weight loss or weight gain program, the most important thing is a good diet plan. Always give more importance to the quality of your food and beverages than the calories you lose or gain.
Quick Ways To Control Calorie Intake
While on a diet, people often think that they need to starve. However, this is not true. Here are some basic tips to control the calories if you are on a diet.
- Substitute sugar with lower-calorie options such as maple syrup and honey.
- Avoid carbonated or aerated drinks. Substitute it with water
- Include more vegetables and greens in your meals.
- Include more protein
- Use a small plate
- Chew well and eat your food slowly
- Practice intermittent fasting
Calorie Counting – Pros And Cons
Here are some of the pros and cons of counting calories
- Structure And Accountability: Calorie counting helps you understand the exact food portion you need. When you understand portion control, it will be easier to plan your meals.
- Motivational: When you continue calorie counting, you will start noticing the changes as well. Immediate benefits, like weight loss and increased energy, can motivate you to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Better Food Options: Calorie counting can help you understand which foods are loaded with nutrients and which are not. This helps you make good food choices that can make you healthy and fit.
- Encourages To Exercise: Exercise can burn calories and help in weight loss. When you understand this, you will be motivated to exercise daily.
- Incomplete nutrition: When you emphasize on counting calories, you might miss out on the important macro nutrients. To be healthy, it is important to have a perfect combination of Phytonutrients and macro nutrients.
- Obsessive Behaviour: Regularly thinking about exercise and calorie counting can lead to serious eating disorders. In addition to calorie counting, you need to focus on your overall well-being to be in a healthy lifestyle.
- Time-Consuming: Calorie counting can be a time-consuming process as you will have to track everything you eat.
Counting calories is the best way to manage or lose weight. If you are following a diet plan made by yourself, you may miss many nutritional elements. Therefore, the best option is to contact experts who can make a customized diet plan for you after considering your medical history, body type, BMI, etc. When a balanced diet is followed, your body and mind start getting more and more healthy.