Health and wellness are often used interchangeably. In any case, it is important to realise that both are different from one another and have distinct meanings. When pursuing wellness or health goals, it is best to be aware of the distinct differences between the two concepts. Ultimately, this can help you prioritise your goals and guide you in choosing online fitness classes that are right for you.
Defining Health And Well Being
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines "health" as "a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being" rather than only being free of disease or infirmity. A person cannot achieve complete health until they are mentally, physically, and socially healthy and devoid of all chronic diseases. A simple breakdown of three essential factors for good health follows.
- Physical health: Good physical health includes everything you achieve by taking control of various factors. A healthy diet, regular exercise, and avoiding harmful habits like smoking and drinking and getting proper sleep are all parts of it. Good control over all these factors will lead to good health.
- Mental health: To have good mental health, a person has to control their emotions, whether they are angry, sad, or even happy. When you are struggling with your mental health, you should be able to reach out for help. It is the first step to regaining control over your emotional well-being.
- Social well-being: Social well-being relates to how well you interact with other people in your society. It's all about real-time communication and connecting with others. If there are some unavoidable circumstances that prevent you from engaging socially, an online fitness class or course will help you achieve good health.
Well, if health is described thus, then what does well-being mean? The following section will take you through six essential components that make up well-being.
Defining Well being
Health is the state of being disease-free, happy, and socially active, while wellness is the pursuit of activities, lifestyles, and choices taken to achieve holistic health. In more precise terms, wellness refers to all the steps taken to achieve good health. These six top health features represent a holistic approach to health.
- Mental wellness: It is the ability of an individual to be creative, solve problems and learn continuously.
- Emotional wellness: The ability to accept and express one's feelings while respecting the feelings of others is emotional wellness.
- Physical wellness: A healthy diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep make up physical wellness.
- Social wellness: The ability to connect with others and interact with them
- Occupational wellness: This refers to your well being at the workplace and your pursuit thereof
- Environmental wellness: It pertains to a healthy and hazard-free environment.
- Intellectual wellness: The idea of intellectual wellness pertains to your ability to understand and apply knowledge. Financial, spiritual and cultural wellness skills also contribute to a person's overall well-being
To put it simply, wellness encompasses every aspect in which you can be healthy and whole.
What is the relation between health and wellness?
While health is excessively focussed on physical health, diseases, illness and genetics, wellness addresses almost all aspects of life that helps you to reach an improved state of health. It is about seeking balance in all areas of life - emotional, financial, social or spiritual wellness. For instance, you might not feel well even though you are physically fit and devoid of chronic illness, but you experience extreme anxiety or depression.
Achieving wellness and health together is essential to truly being healthy. It is found that poor mental or physical well-being can impact the body's ability to fight chronic diseases. Stress is one such factor that can adversely affect your health. It can also have serious repercussions on your physical health, including weight changes, forgetfulness, gut health and several other issues. Similarly, good mental health can make you more resilient and help you cope with life's difficulties in better ways.
Taking Health and Wellness One Step Further with online fitness classes
Being physically active is crucial for good health and overall well-being. You must make exercise a vital part of your routine because it affects your physical health and can adversely affect other aspects of wellness. Online fitness classes and wellness programs are specifically designed to accommodate modern lifestyles.
With these programs, you can improve your fitness level, lose weight, manage stress, and improve your mental health. Online fitness courses address various physical, behavioral and environmental factors to achieve specific objectives.