It is well known that 60% of our bodies are composed of water. But we often ignore the importance of staying hydrated daily. Water plays a central role in keeping our body functioning and active. Besides transporting nutrients to cells and organs, it also removes toxins, acts as a lubricant for joints and bones, facilitates brain functions, and even regulates the body's temperature. Therefore, even a small decrease in bodily water can adversely affect our mental and physical health.
That being said, its significance in maintaining health during exercise is worth noting. Athletes and individuals who spend a great deal of time working out should ensure that they consume an adequate amount of water. This will help prevent their performance from getting affected. In this article, fitness experts from the best online fitness classes in Chennai emphasize the importance of staying hydrated during exercise. Also included are important tips on how to keep hydrated during each stage of our workout.
What are the problems associated with dehydration during workouts?
Dehydration can greatly affect our health and may even result in serious medical conditions. During workouts, this problem is exacerbated if fewer fluids are consumed. While exercising, body water is crucial to cool the body since exercising speeds up the heart rate and ultimately raises the body temperature. Water also helps lubricate our joints, facilitating exercise with little risk of injury.
The most common symptoms of dehydration include nausea, dehydration, muscle cramps, fast heartbeats, and lack of sweat. Other severe symptoms include poor mental clarity, confusion, and even fainting. Dehydration can lead to heart illness if the body doesn't cool down properly. In addition, they cause heat cramps in the legs, arms, stomachs, and backs.
Heat exhaustion is another common sickness associated with dehydration. Acute heat exhaustion causes fatigue and nausea. It may even cause low blood pressure, headaches, or a faster heartbeat. On the other hand, heatstroke is a condition that can cause flushed skin, mental confusion, fast breathing, and rapid heartbeat. If not treated, these conditions can lead to hospitalization and even death.
By staying adequately hydrated, we can avoid the above symptoms. Including fruit and vegetables in our diet and water-content foods such as water and milk can help keep us hydrated.
If possible, avoid fluids such as alcohol as they block anti-diuretic hormones, thereby increasing water loss. Here are some good tips prescribed by online fitness classes on staying hydrated throughout a workout.
Staying Hydrated Before, During, and After Workout
Exercises often result in excessive losses of water as well as electrolytes such as sodium and potassium. To stay hydrated, we need to be mindful of a few things.
- Drink 16 ounces of water or 100% juice or non-fat milk two hours before your workout. It gives the body time to process and empty the bladder.
- A sports drink with electrolytes is recommended before intense sessions like an athletic event.
- We should drink at least 10 ounces of fluid every 10-20 minutes while exercising.
- For every hour of exercise, replenish sodium levels by 1 gram. The reason for this is that our bodies tend to lose salt after exercising vigorously. Sports drinks, cheese, and eggs are sodium-rich foods that can replenish sodium levels in the body.
- Drink 16-24 ounces of water after a workout.
Hydration tips recommended by the best online fitness classes
Maintaining adequate hydration during workouts is crucial. These ten tips from the best online fitness classes offer a quick glimpse into how to stay fit.
- Drink adequate fluids before workouts
- Avoid exercising outdoors during the hottest hours of the day
- Look out for symptoms of dehydration, such as thirst, fatigue, headaches, and dark urine
- Drink water at least every 15 minutes during your workout sessions and carry a water bottle with you
- Track water intake with online applications
- Determine fluid deficits by monitoring weight after workouts
- Drink fluids with recovery snacks or meals
- Add flavour like lime and fresh herbs in your drink.
- Avoid consuming too much fluid as it can cause Hyponatremia, a condition occurring due to a low sodium level
No matter what your fitness goals are, staying hydrated is essential for your health. This will make us healthier, happier, and more energized.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.Does drinking water on an empty stomach benefit my health?
Yes. Drinking water on an empty stomach will cleanse your intestines. This can regulate your digestive system and also stimulate the urge for bowel movement. In addition, hydration is essential to ensure that your internal organs are functioning well. It is a good idea to drink two to three glasses of water as soon as you get up in the morning.
2. What are the benefits of water as a hydration fluid?
Staying hydrated is important for keeping your body cool and keeping your muscles and joints working properly. Drinking water is the easiest way to do this. You can also prevent fatigue and cramps by drinking water. Shortly put, water keeps your body temperature steady, lubricates the joints and removes waste from your body.
3. How does dehydration occur? What are its risk factors?
Excessive fluid loss through urine, bowel movements, or sweating is the major cause of dehydration. The most common reasons for dehydration in children are vomiting and diarrhea. For people with chronic illnesses, dehydration could lead to serious consequences.
4. Is dehydration detrimental to your exercise routine?
Yes. When you are dehydrated, your blood viscosity can increase, your skin wrinkles, and your blood volume can decrease. You may also experience a decrease in Central Venous Pressure. During athletic activities, all this can lead to a decrease in blood entering the heart.
5. What can I do to keep myself hydrated?
- Start your day by drinking water
- Consume lots of fresh vegetables and fruits
- While exercising, keep yourself hydrated. You should drink plain water during workouts. If necessary, you can also consume other beverages.
- Always carry water with you
- Drink water before eating